We've been quite silent on our work toward building the VLC app for Windows 10. We didn't want to set any deadline until we were 100% confident, so we wouldn't overpromise and underdeliver.
Plays everything, everywhere
More than ever, thanks to the power of UWP :)
Windows 10 Mobile
Redstone only, TH2 will probably not be supported. This is because of technical limitations around Background audio APIs, and bad drivers on the phones not receiving the RS1 bits.
Next week ! And this week for VIPs (¬‿¬)
Windows 10 Desktop SKU
Early may (no public beta)
Around mid may
Windows 10 on Xbox One
We've been working on Xbox One for a long time, even considered a Windows 8 app last year, but we could'nt because of the lack of proper APIs. The work on the Xbox One UWP port started in February, and it's been a pleasure to follow the SDK updates.
Build from source
Check out our repo and try it yourself on your Xbox One starting next week. It's still far from perfect but we have several pieces of code not merged yet in the master branch.
This summer, when developers will be able to publish UWP apps on Xbox.
Windows 10 IoT
We're working on a VLC UWP app for the Raspberry 3 (possibly 2 as well), so you can transform a 20$ computer into a portable media center.
No release date for now.
Windows 10 on Hololens
We'll start the work on Hololens as soon as we have some devices to play with. :)
Windows 8.1 - Windows Phone 8.1 - Windows RT
We'll release the last update in May, then we'll drop the support.
To be completely honest - the first upcoming versions won't have many more features than the current version of VLC for Windows Store. All those features will be present in the May/June timeframe. We'll add new features on a weekly basis.
- Artist's upcoming shows, because LastFM messed up its APIs. Patches are welcome if you want to bring it back from another provider
- Updated UI to match the Windows 10 style
- Choose your own accent color : VLC color or Windows chosen accent-color
- Dark or light theme following your Windows (on Anniversary update) global settings
- Windows 10 live tiles and notifications
- Drag and drop a file in the app
- Continuum support.
- Basic Continuum scenarios : docking
- Hybrid scenarios : control VLC running on your XBOX from your W10 mobile phone.
- Cortana (experimental)
- Search in the library
- Control the playback
- Playlist creation
Video Library UI
- Movie covers from the Internet
Video Player UI
- Reworked video player - easier access to VLC options, such as resizing, spu/audio delay, subtitles and audio tracks selection
- Picture in Picture mode - browse your collection and the video plays on the bottom-right corner
- Chromecast support
Video Player features
- Automatic subtitles download from the Internet
- We are trying to convince the right people at Microsoft to whitelist the DVD-related APIs. It's technically possible!
Audio/Video Player features
- Manage your streams : favorites, delete, etc
- Automatic discovery
More languages to be added throughout the year.
- vlc:// protocol
Your feedback matters!
Will there be another Windows RT update?
Yes, as described in the post.
Are there keyboard controls like the "legacy" VLC software?
Yes, available controls are listed in the app settings.
Will we have a holographic video player one day?
Many of you asked, and the answer is yes - if we have Hololens device.
@ThomasNigro how difficult is this project? Did you rewrite the entire app or are you upgrading the code from 8.1?
— Filippo Molinini (@daftpunklover) April 19, 2016
It was just an upgrade, so it was quite easy. I'm thinking of writing at least a couple of blogposts that detail some parts of process.
@ThomasNigro Well done VLC Team, can we used vlc to cast to DLNA Devices ? and can i put fullscreen in half of screen, that was cool in win8
— nasri amin (@smatcheat777) April 19, 2016
- We're working on Chromecast support so you'll be able to cast using a Chromecast. Others might arrive later.
- Snap mode is available on Windows 10, in Desktop and Tablet mode.
— Marvin (@wenti_man) April 19, 2016
- We're working with the Centennial team to bring the very best of the Centennial technology and the UWP platform. Stay tuned!
Subscribe via RSS